For the SDA believers who wish to discover the treasure of the Church’s theology, irrespective of their age, a training program with the most prestigious SDA University is a dream. And when they start calculating the overseas costs of this dream, they come to know an appealing financial reality.
Ten years ago, the administration of the Romanian Union and that of the Adventist Theological Institute, Romania, have negotiated with Andrews University, USA, a partnership for a Master of Arts in Religion. From the moment of their reaching an agreement, hundreds of graduates of the Adventist Theological Institute have been enrolled in, and graduated from, this American affiliated program, whose high academic standard and biblically sound theological content are well known worldwide.
The Adventist world recognizes the serious, high and worthy purposes of the theological training Andrews University offers, one of the affiliated programs of which includes this MA in Religion available outside of Andrews University campus in just five Adventist universities in the entire world, among which one is the Adventist Theological Institute, Cernica, Romania. The professors who teach in the MA program are either faculty members of Andrews University or are invitees from other prestigious Adventist higher educational institutions, recommended by the leadership of Andrews University.
MA in Religion is a graduate program that can be completed in one academic year by attending full-time intensive courses, which start in late September and end in late June, or in a part-time status, by choosing a number of modules per academic year, thus extending one’s study period over 2 to 4 years. Each module requires a 10-day/module attendance, which allows pastors and church administrators to enroll in this program while also attending to their respective duties within the Church.
In order to taste the novelty and the appeal of this program, the admission requirements for the readers of these lines are not beyond their reach:
1. College graduate (irrespective of the profile of the college, that is, one can hold a non-theology degree and still be given a place in the MA program)
2. English language knowledge proven by a TOEFL or MELAB test
3. Minimum costs (see fees)
MA in Religion is meant for any seeker of theological treasures. The studies of Old Testament, New Testament, Systematic Theology, Church History, Worldwide mission, Preaching, Evangelism, Leadership etc. prepare specialists in religion, theology and mission for personal development and ecclesial employment. For others, it represents the indispensable step towards a PhD in Adventist Theology. In the last two years, the program has become international, through the foreign students (England, Germany, Austria, etc.) who enrolled and studied at the Adventist Theological Institute (ATI), Cernica.
It should also be known that Montemorelos University, Mexico, has also a partnership with ATI for two MA programs: one in education and another one in family counseling.
Pentru credincioșii adventiști care vor să descopere tezaurul teologiei bisericii, indiferent de vârstă, un stagiu de pregătire la cea mai prestigioasă instituție adventistăde învățământ superior este un vis. Iar, atunci când încep săcalculeze costurile de peste ocean ale acestui vis, se trezesc.
Cu aproape 10 ani în urmă, administrația Uniunii de Conferințe și cea a Institutului Teologic Adventist au negociat un parteneriat pentru un Master în Religie cu Universitatea Andrews, din SUA. De atunci încoace, zeci de absolvenți ai Institutului Teologic au parcurs acest program de înaltă ținută academicăși cu un consistent conținut biblic și teologic.
Lumea adventistă nu cunoaște ceva mai serios, mai înalt și mai demn de urmat în specializare teologică precum oferta de studii a Andrews University, implicit acest master oferit în afara campusului Andrews în doar 5 universități adventiste din lume, între care se numără și Institutul Teologic Adventist de la Cernica. Profesorii de la master sunt membri ai corpului profesoral de la Andrews sau de la alte instituții adventiste de prestigiu, recomandați de Andrews.
MA in Religion poate fi parcurs într-un an universitar (intensiv, din septembrie până în iunie) sau pe module (pe durata a 2-4 ani, în cursuri de 10 zile/modul).
Pentru a savura ineditul și folosul acestui program, condițiile de admitere pentru cititorii acestor rânduri nu sunt deloc imposibile:
- Absolvent de facultate (indiferent de profil);
- Cunoștințe de limbă engleză, demonstrate printrun test TOEFL sau MELAB;
- Costuri minime (vezi www.institutadventist.ro).
MA in Religion se adresează oricărui căutător de comori teologice. Studiile de Vechiul Testament, Noul Testament, Teologie Sistematică, Istoria Bisericii, Misiune mondială, Predicare, Evanghelizare, Leadership etc. pregătesc specialiști în religie, teologie și în misiune pentru dezvoltare personală. Pentru alții, el reprezintă pasul obligatoriu înainte către doctoratul în Teologie Adventistă.
În ultimii doi ani, programul a îmbrăcat „haină” internațională, prin studenții străini (Anglia, Germania, Austria etc.) care s-au înscris și au studiat la Cernica.
Trebuie știut, de asemenea, căși Universitatea Montemorelos, din Mexic, desfășoară, în parteneriat cu ITA, două cursuri de master: unul în Ştiințe ale Educației, iar celălalt în Consiliere Familială.
THE MA PROGRAM OFFERED ON THE CAMPUS OF THE ADVENTIST THEOLOGICAL INSTITUTE, CERNICA, IS AN AFFILIATED PROGRAM OFFERED BY THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY OF ANDREWS UNIVERSITY.
It is an academic program designed to fulfill the needs of students planning further graduate education in biblical studies, religion, or theology.
- Advantages of studying at ATI, Cernica
- Academic Calendar
- Registration to the Courses and Final Exam
- Program requirements
- Steps to a Graduate Degree
- Admission requirements
- Required English Proficiency
- Application Documents
ADVANTAGES OF STUDYING AT ATI, CERNICA
- High academic standards through courses held by Andrews University endorsed faculty
- Opportunity to study in English
- Degree offered by Andrews University at an affordable price
- The length of the program: 1 year regular (full-time) attendance or 2-4 year extended program (part-time) permitted by the modular structure of the courses
- Courses offered in modules: 2 weeks/module
- Excellent dorm facilities with only two students in a room at the most convenient costs
- Free and full access to the Internet, wireless
- The benefit of building relationships in a friendly academic community
- Academic Calendar 2016 – 2017
- Academic Calendar 2015 – 2016
- Academic Calendar 2014 – 2015
- Academic Calendar 2013 – 2014
- Academic Calendar 2012 – 2013
- Academic Calendar 2011 – 2012
- Academic Calendar 2010 – 2011
Registration to the Courses
For registration to the courses, please access your account here.
New Users: If you don’t know your username and password yet, you need to activate them here.
1. At least 22 semester credits in religion as specified by the current SDA Theological Seminary Section of the AU Bulletin to include:
- Church History (CHIS 2 credits)
- New Testament Studies (NTST 2 credits)
- Old Testament Studies (OTST 2 credits)
- Theological Studies (THST 2 credits)
- E.G. White Writings (3 credits)
- Electives in religion (12 credits)
Total prerequisite credits: 22
Transfer Credits. A maximum of 6 semester hours of credit with a B (3.00) or above may be transferred from an approved seminary or university if applicable to the student’s program. Transfer courses must have been completed within the six-year time limit.
Students must complete a minimum of 32 semester credits for the MA in Religion degree. Must achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or better, and pass a comprehensive examination of 6 hours.
B. General requirements:
Required Courses (24 credits, 2 each)
GSEM620 Research methods
OTST566 Readings in Pentateuch (English)
OTST556 Readings in Prophets (English)
OTST546 Readings in Daniel (English)
NTST536 Reading in Gospels (English)
NTST539 Reading in Revelation
GSEM530 Doctrine of the Sanctuary
GSEM534 Issues in Ellen G. White
CHIS___ Course in Church History
One of the following:
NTST535 Readings in Pauline Writings OR
NTST538 Readings in Hebrews
One of the following
THST615 Doctrine of the Church OR
THST616 Doctrine of God
One of the following
THST618 The Works of God OR
THST540 Doctrine of Salvation
Area of Emphasis – 8 Credits
Thesis/Project (6 Credits)
GSEM697 Thesis for MA Degree OR
GSEM695 Research Project
Pre Req: Completion of all course & Language
Credits Needed for Degree: Minimum 38
Steps to a Graduate Degree:
Total estimated length of time to process an application is 12 weeks. We strongly advise that you apply at least 6 months before you intended date of enrollment.
- Request graduate application materials
- Complete application papers and send to Graduate Admissions
- Receive acceptance letter from the dean (or representative) of the school or college of Andrews University housing your program
- Confer with your graduate advisor
- Register for each semester
- Complete coursework
- Apply for graduation (Registrar’s office)
- Fill out advancement to candidacy form (at 50% of program)
- Apply to take comprehensive exams
- Pass comprehensive exams
- Applicants must hold a BA, BTh degree or equivalent, normally with a major in religion or theology, with a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.00 or above.
- Students who don’t speak English as a first language need to demonstrate the ability to pursue studies in the English language by passing either the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery), both of which are offered in most countries.
The MA program requires a 550 on the TOEFL or an 80 on the MELAB in order to fulfill the English language requirement.
The test must be recent – within one year prior to admission.
- Complete and return the Sixteen Personality Factor Questionnaire as directed.
- Academic year 2016/2017 – application deadline: June, 19th – July, 10th
Required English Proficiency:
English is the language of instruction for all programs on the Michigan campus and at most other sites in the United States or Canada. All students whose first language is not English must demonstrate that they can read, speak, and understand English. A minimum score of 80* on the internet-based TOEFL (ibt), 550 on the paper-based TOEFL (pbt) demonstrates such proficiency. Students who score below these levels will be required to complete Intensive English Program coursework to achieve this score before enrolling in regular coursework. These test results will not be required when the applicant has obtained one of the following in a country where English is the spoken language and medium of instruction:
- All education from at least the ninth grade through the twelfth grades or equivalent.
- Four years in and graduation from an undergraduate college or university.
- Completion of a graduate degree.
- Students whose native language is not English or who did not complete their high school/college education in the English language are required to take the TOEFL or MELAB exam to prove English proficiency.
Lastly, the current bulletin no longer allows students outside of Michigan to submit the MELAB test for language requirements. All international students must take the TOEFL, IELTs or PET. Please note, students may take the English proficiency tests as early as two year before applying.
ENGLISH PROFICIENCY TESTS
English is the language of instruction at Andrews University. International and Domestic prospective students who graduated from an educational institution where English was not the language of instruction will be required to submit English proficiency test scores.
The table below provides a breakdown of the University’s minimum English proficiency tests scores to be considered for regular admission.
|ENGLISH PROFICIENCY TEST||MINIMUM SCORES REQUIRED|
|Internet-based TOEFL (iBT)||80|
|Paper-based TOEFL (ITP)||550|
- English Proficiency tests must be taken within 2 years prior to admission.
- MA Communication, MA English, DPT Physical Therapy, and Seminary programs require higher English test scores.
1. Copy of Diploma (Bachelor degree);
2. Copy of diploma (Bachelor degree), translated to English;
3. Official transcript, sent directly from school to Andrews University;
4. Official translated transcript, sent directly from school to Andrews University;
- Students who have attended college in the Korea, Japan or Taiwan do not need to submit their transcript in their original language.
- Applicants that come from the British school system or French school system must submit copies of their secondary certificates. (e.g. O&A Levels or Baccalaureate secondary completion).
- Countries that fall under this category include but are not limited to: Algeria-Bahamas-Bangladesh-Barbados-Cameroon-England-France-Germany-Ghana-Guyana-Haiti-Hong Kong-India-Ivory Coast-Jamaica-Kenya-Malawi-Malaysia-Nepal (Sri Lanka)-Nigeria-Pakistan-Rwanda-Sierra Leone-Singapore-St. Kitts-Tanzania-Tobago-Trinidad-Uganda-Zambia-Zimbabwe
5. Copy of Baccalaureate diploma;
6. Copy of Identity card or Passport;
7. Admission fee – 45 RON;
8. Application Forms:
- Application for Graduate Admission
- Summary of Your Educational Experience by Year
- Professional Experience
- Statement of purpose
- Recommendation 1
- Recommendation 2
- Recommendation 3
- Tuition fee: 1.500 EUR
- Admission fee: 45 RON or 10 EUR
- Boarding fee: 2,5 EUR per day
- Meal costs: 2,5 EUR per meal
The tuition fee can be paid integrally at the beginning of the studies, or in yearly installments. (Ex. For 4 study years you can pay 1500 EUR/4 = 375 EUR/year)
|Monday to Thursday||7:00 – 8:00 a.m.||1:00 – 2:00 p.m.||6:00 – 7:00 p.m.|
|Friday||7:00 – 8:00 a.m.||12:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.||Closed|
|Saturday||Closed (You will receive the meal for Sabbath on Friday at lunch)|
|Sunday||8:00-9:00 a.m.||1:00 – 2:00 p.m.||6:00 – 7:00 p.m.|
|Worship||Meeting Time||Meeting Location|
|Friday Worship||Friday, 8:00 p.m.**||CHAPEL|
|Sabbath School||Saturday, 9:00 – 10:30 p.m.||CHAPEL|
|Sabbath morning worship||Saturday, 11:00 – 12:30 p.m.||CHAPEL|
|Sabbath afternoon worship||Saturday, 5:00 p.m.**||CHAPEL|
|CHAPEL||Wednesday, 12:00 – 13:00 a.m||CHAPEL|
|Vespers||Monday, 7:00 – 8:00 p.m.||CHAPEL|
** could be changed
You have to apply online for the program. You need to choose the Religion MA – Overseas Campuses, than Adventist Theological Institute (Institutul Teologic Adventist din Cernica-Ilfov)
Mr. Laurenţiu MOŢ, Ph.D., Site Program Director
Ms. Erna-Eva MOLDVAI, Registrar
Phone/fax: +40 (21) 369 53 50
Mail address: Adventist Theological Institute, Şos. Decebal, nr.11-13, 077035 Cernica, jud. Ilfov, Romania
For additional information see the AU Bulletin.